Sunday, July 20, 2008

They told me I had a blod clot or cancer...

Although it was not true, I had to endure a whole weekend as if my life were under threat.

Over the past weekend I spent some time in hospital. I had pain in my back and chest and breathing hurt. I went to the emergency department and they had trouble diagnosing the problem, but thought it could it may be a blod clot on my lung.So over the following two days I was admitted to the novelty pin cushion ward (as my husband described it). I had a chest X-ray and then they did an MRI scan, which incidentally burst a vein, so I ended up with toxic radiation in my body swimming around, leaving the whole scan inconclusive. I had two bungs in my arm and my hand, they took copious blood samples, urine samples and just about every other procedure, including a rectal treatment! I mean, I was given the works. The worst part was the blood thinning injections to my stomach, which stung like you wouldn't believe.

On Sunday, a professor came to see me. I was lying in bed in my new pj's that a girlfriend had purchased for me. They were really lovely but the top was a size or two too small, so my breasts were bulging out of the top and it had a lovely over jacket that I was wearing to cover everything up. The professor was the kind of man that was in your personal space, looking at you like you were an insect under a microscope. I felt very invaded. He asked me to take off the jacket so he could examine me. I did so with much embarasment as my assets were all out there for the nurse, doctor in training and the professor to see. It was probably one of the most uncomfortable medical examinations I've ever been through and that's saying something because I've given birth four times, had a miscarriage, a tubal ligation and gaul bladder removal!

Suffice to say, by the end of the examination he declared that I only had a pulled muscle and that it was not anything fatal or serious. This was after me being led to believe that the scan had revealed either a blood clot or cancer on my lungs. I grabbed my stuff and got out of that hospital as fast as my legs could carry me.

I was grateful for all the care they provided but very disappointed that I'd missed out on my retreat to my friend Grace's house with my other great girlfriend Jayne which we'd planned for a pampering weekend!

What I don't regret about the weekend is what I learned about gratitude.


The woman next to me, who was in there with kidney failure and diabetes, taught me a lot about my life. She didn't say anything significant. She only shared with me how she is a regular in the hospital for kidney dialysis and treatment for her diabets. She's been a diabetic for 20 years. I observed the copious injections, tablets, and routines that accompanied her condition. I watched as her family arrived, so looking forward to taking her out of the hospital for a couple of hours to see a movie and the disappointment when the doctor said it was not a good idea.

In the short time I was there I realised just how finite life is and how short the time is when we have able bodies. I was also surrounded by bedridden old people. I realised just have much that I have taken my health for granted. I realised that I have taken my husband for granted and my kids and really not valued them like I should. Significant life lessons, not because I was dying but because I witnessed the debilitation other people suffer every day because of sickness.

This experience has caused me to rexamine my priorities and I thought this journey worthy of recording here.

What are we missing out on in life?

We say we realise that we only have the promise of this moment we are living in, but are we really capturing the moment and squeezing everything out of it? Time passes so quickly. I don't want to miss another opportunity to enjoy my family.

What about you? Is there time to be angry, to not forgive, to have broken relationships? The time spent in these attitudes robs you of the opportunity of having a loving and joyous experience with those that care about you the most.

Something to ponder...