Sunday, October 19, 2008

Exercise - Do I really have the time?

Researching for the Commando Kick Butt Challenge I was again reminded of some teaching I had from Jenny Craig years ago about how to increase your natural activity levels, so I thought that I would share that information with my readers.

Firstly, we've heard most of it before. Use the stairs, park the furthest away from the shopping centre. But the one that I hadn't heard before was a gem that our physical trainer, Geoff Quinsee shared with us on Saturday. That is to move parts of your anatomy when you are sitting. ie shake your leg, move your foot, drum your fingers etc. Anything that will get your heart working harder. Here I was always stopping those around me from shaking their anatomy, only to realise now that I should not have been asking them to stop but actually joining in all the fun!

This is a marriage saving piece of advice that I am giving you here!

Now, if you are a computer nerd like me, you may also want to consider his other advice and that is abandon the chair with the back support and opt for a bouncy ball instead! A fit ball will help you to develop your core muscles (those that run through your abdomen) as you will be using them to keep yourself perched up there on that ball.

Now imagine with me if you will, an oversized woman sitting on a fit ball at the computer. You are allowed to giggle! Seriously, I know I am going to look a picture but if it works, then I say go for it. Imagine if everyone went into work tomorrow with a fit ball in tow and told the boss to throw away the traditional chair. Imagine whole meetings of people bouncing on their fit balls. It really could revolutionise the whole business sector! Imagine visiting your doctor and while you are telling them your woes, they are bouncing away on their fit ball. It seriously could be therapeutic!

Why not join me in the revolution to get fit and healthy?